E-commerce website trends to watch in 2022 and beyond
Whenever you want to buy something, doesn't Amazon always pop up in your head? It's because e-commerce has become a vital part of our lives. As market stats say that e-commerce revenue will reach almost 5.4 trillion by 2022, you'll see even more e-commerce sites popping up.
So, if you own an e-commerce site, you have to stay updated with the current trends to capitalize on this market boom. Adopting strategies like personalized branding, data profiling, and even chatbots will enable you to deliver top-notch customer experiences.
Want to know more? This blog will take you through all the latest e-commerce website trends in 2022 and beyond you need to watch out for.
Have the number of shopping cart abandoners increased on your site? It does not necessarily mean that customers don't like your products and are considering other options.
It might be technical issues on their devices, indecision or just comparing too much with other brands! No matter the issue, customers abandoning their carts won't get you the conversions you dream of.
The situation has given rise to a trend called cross-platforming. It'll keep the customers hooked and keep buying from you.
You can start by making sure your website is completely responsive and offers the same experience across various devices. It must deliver similar experiences on a smartphone, laptop, or desktop.
Here are some other tips to engage your cross-device shoppers -
- The functionalities must be consistent across all platforms. It includes proper CTAs, secure checkout forms, convenient product viewing and consistent branding
- Include testimonials, customer reviews and product ratings to help customers make a well-informed purchase decision
- Customize and prioritize reminder emails for cart abandoners. Send emails at night or early morning after studying their behavior
- Collect website activity, social media actions, ad clicks and text responses to understand your customers
You must also implement retargeting or remarketing. For instance, a customer checks out a smartphone on your site, gets distracted, and doesn't buy it. However, you can position the product ad on Facebook or Instagram using retargeting so the customers view it.
Then, you can send a reminder notification on their mobile app to convince them to complete the purchase. In addition, you can try to attract them by offering a discount.
Profiling customer data
You've heard of companies using data science to understand their customers. Along with analyzing users by utilizing customer data, companies use customer data profiling. The process enables them to develop better buyer personas.
Also, you can gain more insights into your target audience.
So, companies are employing data scientists to gather vital customer information. This includes a customer's purchase history, demographic data, browsing patterns, and payment behavior.
Here's what you can know about your customers through data profiling -
- Browsing Device - It describes the socio-economic status. For instance, Apple device users are well off, while low-end smartphone users fall into the middle-class section.
- Browsing Time - If the customer browses late at night, they might be a working professional busy all day. And that might be the best time to connect with them.
- Purchase History - It tells you whether the customer is new or old, and you can align your marketing campaigns accordingly.
You will be surprised to know that Netflix uses customer profiling to develop thousands of micro-genres. It enables them to cater to a large customer base. The benefits of this process are -
- Reduced marketing and customer acquisition expenses
- Increased customer satisfaction and purchases
- Better customer retention and loyalty
- Understanding customers better
Personalization adjusted purchase journey
As there are so many brands and such stiff competition, you need to connect more with customers, so they buy more of your products. So, you can set your brand apart by offering more personalized services, which is the next trend we're going to talk about.
80% of customers love companies offering a personalized shopping experience. Also, 50% of shoppers consider personalization highly crucial to their buying decisions. Get the drift?
Here's how you can go about it -
- Based on customer data, send personalized emails talking about your products
- Send out exciting offers and discounts after customer segmentation
- Include audio or video within emails and messages to keep them engaged
- Provide interesting options for product packaging
- Keep the customers engaged with messages until they complete the purchase
Besides all this, you can also send specialized gift cards with the final delivery to make customers feel special.
Gone are the days of door-to-door selling, pamphlets, and brochures to promote your brand. It is the age of digital marketing, and it's not just a trend but a norm.
So, the stronger your digital presence is, the better will be your sales and conversions. With digital advertising, you can reach customers located in various parts of the globe. Digital ads help you target more customers and change the strategies as per your needs.
Here are the trends you need to adopt and live by in 2022 –
- Search Engine Optimization - Optimizing your e-commerce website with the right keywords will improve its Google ranking. More people will find you, and you will receive higher organic traffic, enhancing your revenue opportunities.
- Email Marketing - You can occasionally send engaging emails to your customers about new product launches and offers. You can also send emails about abandoned product carts!
- Social Media Marketing - You can easily reach out to your target audience via social media platforms such as Facebook or Instagram.
Another important idea that has been making the rounds is consistent branding. It means that every element of your marketing/ branding strategy must be perfectly aligned with your brand identity. So, you have to keep the color palette, visuals, brand voice, and other elements consistent.
Consistent branding will allow customers to connect better with your brand and increase engagement. For instance, your brand's site consists of minimalistic designs and colors. So, you need to maintain this tone on your E-commerce website for customers to relate to your products.
If you suddenly start using neon colors and over-the-top visuals, customers might be confused. A consistent and customized color palette can enhance your brand recognition by 80%!
That's why you'll see brands like Amazon and eBay maintain their color palette and visuals. It not only drives sales but also builds trust among your customers.
Modern customers are more concerned and aware of their environment. It has given birth to a trend called green consumerism, to which you need to pay attention.
Almost 60% of online shoppers say that they're willing to pay more for eco-friendly products. Customers are focusing more on the environmental impact of their purchases. So, you need to implement sustainable practices and start developing more eco-friendly products & processes to attract customers.
You can take the following steps to maintain your eCommerce brand during this green consumerism wave -
- Ensure your product development and manufacturing practices are environment friendly
- Follow the Fair Trade Principles and source products from companies following these rules
- Donate a percentage of your revenue towards environmental conservation
- Provide information about your eco-friendly ventures on the site
Augmented Reality (AR) has revolutionized e-commerce by letting customers view products they want to buy. It offers the customer a better feel of the product, which will drive their buying decision.
So, if you sell curios, home decor products, or clothes, Augmented Reality can help you step up your game. As customers are less inclined to visit brick-and-mortar stores, AR will attract mode users to your E-Commerce site.
Here are the benefits you'll enjoy after implementing AR into your e-Commerce platform -
- Offering 3D visualizations and virtual try-on options, AR will help bring down the product return rates
- Improve customer retention and engagement
- AR will enable customers to relate to your products while offering and enhancing user experience
- Better conversion rates and customer satisfaction
That's why global retail giant IKEA uses an AR-enabled e-commerce application called IKEA Place. It allows users to see what the furniture will look like when kept inside their homes.
Chatbots are modern-day customer service executives that enable companies to address their user's queries. These programs can also common questions about the products and services.
Queries related to pricing, discounts, exchange offers, cashback, or warranty - chatbots can handle everything. As customers want results and information at any instant, chatbots can be the ultimate solution.
Using chatbots, you don't have to depend on customer service executives 24/7. Providing instant answers, this technology can help you retain more customers and keep them engaged. As a result, your sales are bound to increase.
You'll be surprised to know that almost 1.4 billion people use chatbots to find answers on online platforms. In addition, chatbots can work as your shopping assistants and get you the best products and deals.
So, if you don't have a chatbot in place, get your developers to include them on your site.
Phygital experiences are the combination of physical and digital aspects of online purchases, which offer an immersive experience to the user.
Technologies like virtual reality, artificial intelligence, and augmented reality are crucial for developing phygital experiences. The primary objective is to create a sensory experience. And that’s why chatbots have become so essential.
Chatbots allow the user to chat live and get answers to their queries. It creates an immersive and engaging experience, making the customer feel more connected.
As you might understand, the future of e-commerce is vast, especially in an era when people want everything at their doorsteps. So, it's essential to keep up with the trends and enhance your e-commerce platform accordingly. Keeping your site up to date will help enhance user experience, customer retention, engagement, and improving brand loyalty. So, perform a website audit today to see where you can improve.