The latest major version of Drupal, Drupal 10 is set to release on 14 December 2022. Drupal 10 is built on Drupal 9 as a part of the methodical approach adopted from the release of Drupal 8. Instead of a complete codebase overhaul, new functionalities are added to the later Drupal 9 versions, like the Drupal 9.4. This approach enables Drupal to deliver new value without disruption and gives developers sufficient time to update future API changes.
Getting ready for Drupal 10
Drupal users should keep an eye on current updates. The move from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10 is estimated to be easier than upgrading to Drupal 9 from other old versions. The steps to switch to Drupal 10 would be similar to the steps required to upgrade to Drupal 9.
You need to keep your website ready for the switch now to make the move easier when Drupal 10 is available. Keep the Drupal core updated and note the modules that are compatible or no longer compatible with Drupal 10.
Use the available tools to estimate how much work is required to switch to Drupal 10.
- The Drupal Upgrade Status module helps to find the deprecations to fix. You can estimate the effort you need for the switch.
- The Drupal Rector app helps to automate the process of removing deprecations.
- The Drupal PHPStan module, a static code analysis tool, helps to analyze the code for deprecations.
- The Drupal Check module helps to check static code for deprecation.
The switch from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10 will be more automated with a lesser turnaround time. It will be effortless due to faster iterations and fewer minor versions in Drupal 9.
Preparing for Drupal 10
- Upgrade to Drupal 9, if not done already
- Install Drupal Upgrade Status
- Check whether contributed modules need an update using Administer > Reports > Upgrade Status
- Find out the deprecated APIs to fix in the custom code
- Ensure all deprecated APIs are detectable using the latest Drupal 9 release
- Use Drupal Rector to fix various issues in your custom code automatically
Upgrading to Drupal 10 from other versions
Drupal 9's end of life is in November 2023. You will no longer receive bug updates or community-supported security updates for Drupal 9 beyond November 2023. The EOL of Drupal 9 also means the EOL of Symfony 4 and CKEditor 4.
You will have 11 months from the release of Drupal 10 to migrate. With Drupal major versions getting easier with each release, upgrading to Drupal 10 from Drupal 9 will be an effortless upgrade.
Start updating contrib projects and custom code now.
Drupal 8's end of life was in November 2021. If you are still using Drupal 8, you are no longer receiving community support for bug updates or security updates.
Migrate to Drupal 10 upon release or migrate to Drupal 9 and then upgrade to Drupal 10.
Drupal 7's end of life is in November 2023. While Drupal 7 is still supported by the community, the support for contrib projects has decreased. If you are still using Drupal 7, you are missing out on more than a decade worth of technical innovations and current technologies as Drupal 7 was released in 2011.
Migrate to Drupal 9 now as it is a complex migration involving rewrites of custom code and replacing many contrib projects.
Drupal 6 end of life was in February 2016. If you are using Drupal 6, you are no longer receiving community support. Migrating from Drupal 6 to Drupal 9 is the same as Drupal 7 to Drupal 9 migration. It involves a complicated process, and it is better to start your migration process now.
Migrate to Drupal 9 and then upgrade to Drupal 10.
Drupal 10 Readiness initiative
The Drupal 10 Readiness initiative oversees the release of Drupal 10. Its main priorities are to
- Support contributed module maintainers while modules are updated
- Track the tasks required to release
- Update dependencies and remove deprecated APIs
- Ensure Drupal 10 is released in December 2022
Keep an eye on the Drupal 10 Readiness initiative to keep yourself updated with the Drupal world.
We’re here to help!
You can start preparing your website now to migrate to Drupal 10. Check out how the exciting new features of Drupal 10 with the enhanced existing features pave the path to creating exceptional digital experiences for your customers across all touch points.